Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Daiya Cheese

I commented on someone else's blog (http://cookingglutenfree.blogspot.com/2012/01/easy-peasy-dairy-free-sour-cream.html) about Daiya cheese. I'd just like to talk about it here. :)

Daiya cheese is a dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free cheese. It comes pre-shredded in mozza-style and cheddar-style. I can not stand all of the other dairy-free cheeses I have tried that are soy- and rice-based. I've tried them all, I think. Not that there's a huge selection of truly dairy-free soy cheeses--so many have casein!

In any case, I do really like the mozza. It's great on pizzas and in lasagnas. You must use it sparingly; it can really overwhelm you as you go along and has even made me and a friend feel sick when we've used too much. Tonight, I tried the cheddar-style in a grilled cheese sandwich and it was GOOD! I was so excited: I haven't been able to eat grilled cheese in years!


No comments:

Post a Comment