Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 2 of Wheat-Free!

I don't know how long I will go wheat-free. This was really one of those kind of wake-up-in-the-morning decisions and I'm not really prepared to do it long-term. So far today, I've managed to be wheat-free much more easily than yesterday; I just don't think that I can keep it up without more time to plan meals and shop accordingly.

Nonetheless, I have learned a few things:

1) First day is the toughest, but I made it through. I can do other wheat-free days over time and increase the number per week. (Oh, there's an idea! A wheat-free day each week, gradually building up. That way, too, my family will notice less when there isn't as much wheat being served at suppers. ;) ) My son even made double chocolate muffins today--one of my favourites--and although the thought has crossed my mind to have one, there hasn't been the huge pull like there would have been yesterday.

2) I have been eating A LOT of wheat and grains on any given day--up until now.

3) If I can do a couple of days wheat-free, I can probably do at least one full raw day. The idea has seemed extremely difficult, but given the wheat cravings I was having yesterday and managed to get through, I think I could do a whole day raw. And perhaps, like above, work at having one raw day a week and build it up. (Meatless Mondays, Wheatless Wednesdays, nothing starts with C to have Cookless --Day ;) .)

4) I seem to feel the need to eat less when I consume fewer grains. I'm also craving sweets less. Correlation? (I normally have chocolate chips or some other little sweet that I can find. I didn't have anything yesterday nor today.)


What I'd like to do right now is keep going with limiting my grain consumption and trying to increase my fruit and veggie consumption, but allowing some wheat--like noodles or garlic bread at supper. :D

My food intake today:

BREAKFAST:
*green smoothie: fresh blueberries, a banana, baby spinach and water
*small bowl of Hemp Plus with almond milk

LUNCH:
*leftover chili
*carrots and hummus

SNACK:
*banana
*a few roasted, salted peanuts
*celery stick with peanut butter and raisins (ha! figured out a way to get my peanut butter in! :D)

For supper, the plan is to have chicken with a sesame orange sauce, cooked veggies and rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment