Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Step by step

(LOL. As I typed the subject line for this post, I couldn't help but think of the song "Step by Step" by New Kids On The Block. In case you are too young to know who they are or the song, here is the video :D :)



Ok, flashback moment done with.

I am trying to remind myself of focusing on my health and that taking things step by step is the way I need to do it. I don't have any special recipes or anything to share right now. I've been making green smoothies the past few days to start off my day, although having toast or oatmeal between then and lunch. I've made fruit salads for snack, munched on lettuce just cuz... I realized this morning, though, that I'd consumed about 8 servings of grains yesterday. Ach! (Think how a German might pronounce that. :D) 

With that realization, I made a bigger effort today to curb that tendency. I started my day off with a glass and a half of green smoothie, which actually took me all the way until lunch. (Haha, we had a bit of fun with my green smoothie. I homeschool a teen from another family and when I went to put the remaining smoothie in my glass and came back, he thought I had put water. So seeing it from the corner of his eye kind of startled him as to what kind of disgusting water was I drinking!) We went to the food court for lunch and I decided I would definitely do a veggie lunch, but couldn't decide between Edo Japan or Extreme Pita. I thought about how I would end up with a lot of (white) rice if I picked Edo and I don't know about Edo without the teriyaki sauce, which I'm sure isn't at all healthy, so I decided to go for a veggie wrap and a bottle of orange juice. I get the lettuce, tomato and cucumbers with the grilled peppers, onions and mushrooms. It was delicious, as usual! I just had a piece of toast as a snack and am trying to figure out supper.

Other than that, I've started reading a couple of books to help support me in my steps:

     

I haven't made it very far with Live Raw yet. She has an intro with a section on her journey and then information on what is raw, why raw and suggestions. I'm still in this latter part. So far, I am really enjoying it! Once I finish that, it will be on to the recipes section.

With Veganist, I only picked it up from the library last night. I flipped through it a bit and read one of the stories and did find it motivating to make a greater effort at changing. It's not a recipe book. It's rather a book about why to go vegan, or at least lean in that direction, and includes someone's story in each section. I read one of the stories and truly found it inspiring and motivational. I think this will be a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment