Thursday, August 9, 2012

Just Do It

I started following Flylady years ago. Back when her list was very simple and the bulk of it was sending reminders instead of the bulk of it seeming to now be testimonials, especially about products. But I digress.

One thing she is very focused on is creating routines. I know when I let my life slip into a lack of strong routines, things don't work as well: I don't get as much done, I feel somewhat discombobulated half the time... So, I decided, along with some list buddies, to work on a new habit this month, something that would become routine.

Well, gosh darn it, it's really hard to do, especially when your life isn't routine! My new habit was to add to my already existing before-bed routine to lay out my clothes for the next day and spend 2 minutes on "hot spots" (FlyLady lingo for flat surfaces which collect needless items). This worked great for two days. And then I was out 3 evenings in a row, late, and getting home, doing the new routine was the last thing on my mind. Then I wasn't feeling well Tuesday evening, then didn't get upstairs to bed until late last night... Part of me is seeking excuses: "How am I supposed to establish a routine when my life is so non-routine?"

Another part of me finally answered back this morning:

"You do it anyhow."

Oy, is that not the truth? If we want change, we need to do what it takes, regardless of what is going on around us. I did pull out my clothes last night, but decided it was "too late" to do the 2-minute hot spot clearing. Because, you know, getting to bed a whole 2 minutes later is going to be a problem, right? Well, it seemed rational last night when I was tired. lol.

I don't know if Nike still uses this motto, but I grew up with it and it's going to be my motto for the next while. No more excuses about why some simple thing isn't getting done!


No comments:

Post a Comment