Friday, January 4, 2013

Free Recipe Friday

I had the thought that a good way for me to build up a collection of recipes I like is to have a regular day where I post recipes I've tried and liked. Every Friday, I will try to post a "Free" recipe: not only do you not have to pay for it ;), but it will be free of something, like gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan/animal-product-free, soy-free...

Today's recipe: My daughter had started asking for scalloped potatoes. I've never, ever made them myself. Ate them as a kid and liked them so-so, then developped my dairy allergy as an adult and have not been able to eat them when served by others. Found the following recipe and it was absolutely delicious! I don't remember liking scalloped potatoes as much as a kid. There wasn't even any cheese--not even Daiya cheese--on it but it tasted so creamy and good!


Scalloped Potatoes
vegan, so: dairy-free, meat-free, animal-product-free; could be modified potentially to gluten-free



photo forgotten! :(

Original recipe here. My modified recipe below:

INGREDIENTS
3 tablespoons vegan margarine
1/4 cup flour (I'm thinking that a gluten-free baking starch could potentially be used or a gluten-free flour blend to make this recipe gluten-free as well)
1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup Veganaise
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
5 large potatoes
1 onion, chopped

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Cook the margarine, flour, broth, Veganaise, salt and pepper on medium heat, whisking constantly until thick and bubbly.

2. Slice the potatoes 1/8" thick or so. A mandoline slicer with adjustable thicknesses works well for this!

3. Mix the potatoes and onions and place in a deep casserole dish.

4. Pour the sauce over the potatoes.

5. Sprinkle with paprika.

6. Bake at 350F for 1.5 hours.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment