Monday, January 21, 2013

Make-a-Menu Monday

Last week's menu plan was such a great thing for me to have done! It was just nice to have that part decided ahead of time. I didn't have to figure anything out during the week, other than just a quick check to make sure I had everything I needed.

Thursday's plan didn't end up being followed, unfortunately. That story's long and uninteresting, but a lesson was learned: I can't just plan a simple supper, I must make sure I actually have all the ingredients (um, yeah, was missing a key item) and that the alternate simple supper isn't going to take forever to make since I can't start supper until about 4:30-4:45 on Thursdays.

We still haven't heard back from the doctor about my 15yo's tests for gluten intolerance/allergy (celiac), which I'm hoping means is good news. I still like the idea of working toward wheat-free/gluten-free meals (or meals that are easily made gluten-free), but I'm not so focused on it this week.

What I've been doing when making my meal plan is keeping in mind what's going on this week: are there time constraints? do I need to pick up specific items? is there a time during the day I can stop at the grocery store if I need something else? (At the same time, this process makes me really wish we were on holidays still as the busyness is feeling a bit overwhelming!)

With that in mind, my meal plan:

Monday: chili

Tuesday: stir fry with rice; I bought a bag of stir fry veggies mix today and a bottle of VH stir fry sauce

Wednesday: something with the Swedish meatballs we have in the freezer downstairs. Made it with rice last time; might find a recipe to make with potatoes this time.

Thursday: super simple night--maybe just grilled cheese sandwiches and soup. Maybe I'll make it the evening that my son makes supper. ;D

Friday: I'd like to make a crockpot recipe. Or maybe a pressure cooker recipe. Either way, I'm going to have to figure something out, but didn't manage to before posting this! Deadline: Wednesday morning. That way I can purchase any ingredients I might need while my daughter is in her dance class at lunch time.

Yes, I'm stopping there yet again. I do need to start figuring out the whole week, I know, but right now, this is a good start. ;)

Care to share your menu plan for the week?

No comments:

Post a Comment