Thursday, October 17, 2013

Diary of Life Without an Upstairs Fridge

Day 1

Our fridge died today. Or rather, we discovered that the fridge had died within the past couple of days since everything in the freezer was completely thawed. In retrospect, we should have clued in earlier and have checked the temperature--the fridge had been making funny clicking sounds for a few days and I had noticed some things didn't seem as frozen hard as they usually are.

Most of the stuff from the freezer had to be thrown out. :( A creamsicle had melted and a hole in the wrapper let the melted liquid get onto various things. Thankfully we have a second fridge and a deep freezer in the basement. The fridge is older and smaller and we had to remove some things (like pop, juice cans...) from it to fit in what could be salvaged from the fridge upstairs. Unfortunately, we don't have time to go fridge shopping today.

Note to self: Clean out the fridge more often. Whatever that thing was in the little ziploc baggie was gross.

---

Day 2

Because we don't have time to go shopping yet, we've been looking online at possibilities. Man oh man are new fridges expensive!!! :( Hubby is really wanting a French door-style with a freezer on the bottom; I'm fine with a single door and the freezer on the bottom. Our current (dead) fridge is a side-by-side. I don't like it.

Going downstairs for fridge items is a real pain in the neck. I hope we don't have to wait too long before we have our upstairs replacement, but I guess you can say we are getting more exercise because of it.

---

Day 3

I'm really starting to be annoyed by having to go downstairs for so much. We still have the old fridge in its spot and all of us at some point have gone over, opened the doors and remembered, oh, yeah, there's no food in here.

---

We went fridge shopping this evening. So many models with some great prices won't fit our space! Grrr. I hope we can hit the scratch-and-dent/refurbished places on the weekend; maybe we can get a fridge that fits for a better price than brand new and unscratched.

---

Day 4

Ugh. How much more do we have to keep going downstairs for something???

---

Day 5

Surprisingly, I'm not minding so much going down to the basement today for fridge items. Maybe it's becoming a habit.

---

Day 6

I've really adjusted to the fridge being downstairs. I make sure I have everything together that needs to go back downstairs instead of making multiple unnecessary trips and have even started bringing my cereal bowl downstairs with me to fill with (almond) milk rather than going downstairs, bringing the milk upstairs, then heading back downstairs. I could live like this, I think.

Hubby has mentioned that he could go for a single door on top. That helps open up our options.

---

Day 7

Hubby has complained about having to go downstairs for things. He's not home as much as we are so he's not as habituated. I've realized we aren't eating as many fruits as vegetables as we normally do. We (the kids and I) may be getting used to the fridge being downstairs, but I think in part it's because we are skimping on things. I've stopped using margarine on bread/toast, I know that. And the honey, which is kept upstairs, is almost gone because I didn't want to be bothered to go downstairs for the jam in the fridge.

---

Hubby and I are out shopping. We have gone to so many places fridge shopping today without success, I feel like giving up.

---

We found a fridge! Still expensive, but a clearance price, so at least we're saving money. Sort of. And from Sears, so we know that if we ever have an issue, we're well covered. I really like this fridge. We saw the same model at the 3rd place we visited this morning, a scratch-and-dent place. The Sears clearance price is barely more expensive than their price. One drawback: Because we want the white, and it's a discontinued model, it has to come in from another city (last one in the province!). We'll have to wait 7-9 days. I've been handling the downstairs fridge travels not too badly; it should be okay.

Day 8

I'm starting to resent, again, having to go downstairs for fridge items. I guess knowing that we do have a fridge, it's just not here yet, has changed my perspective.

Day 9

Really not liking having to go downstairs for fridge items. Waiting another 5-7 days for our new fridge feels like an eternity.

Day 10

*sigh* How long until we get the new fridge?

Day 11

I remembered about a plug-in cooler we have in our crawl space, which really is a crawl space. I ended up scraping my back--and mostly ripping off a mole on my back--trying to get it out. Got it upstairs, found a spot to put it in and... discovered that the plug is only for in a vehicle (where cigarette lighters used to go). After getting my daughter to put a band-aid on my back, I went to the basement, again, to put the cooler back.

Our new fridge can't come soon enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment